Wednesday 7 November 2012

Week Five: Look North

Mr Motivation: Dale Cooper
Tuesday:

Hello, hello. I feel a little detached from you all, talk to me, guide me, tell me your experiences. Feeling a little isolated in Suffolk.

Last week was all a bit of a horrible blur (personal circumstances), and Monday was taken off for the funeral. Hmm. Goodbyes are hard. HOWEVER, he wouldn't want me wallowing, so I graced Tuesday with a smile and got my head down!

Mostly had my hands covered in stickers, processing new DVDs. Arts and crafts, basically. Got a little too excited over the Twin Peaks box set that passed across my hands. Absolute fan girl. G'wan Cooper!
The issue desk was a good'n today. Lots of tricky problems to get my head around. Felt a little bad for a poor man who couldn't graduate until he returned/paid for books... (will pass over that)

Basic figures got the better of me; totalling up book costs once, twice checked (not the same), third checked (not the same), fourth check (bloody hell, I was right the first time). Vexed!

Cut and stick. Cut and stick. Home to Xbox, books, and bed.

Wednesday:

imageOhai! It's the longest day of the week again. Working 8.30-17.00 here at the Library, and then 17.30-23.20 at Nando's, because I'm struggling to pay my rent, and pay my bills.

More cutting and sticking and processing this morning. Then received some journals and put the new ones on display and archived the older issues. I have spent a lot of time thinking about this job this morning, and I wonder, if this graduate trainee programme was for longer than six months, would the staff treat me any differently? It may be down to departmental organisation, but I feel that the communication between staff here is the libraries biggest downfall, and unfortunately this means that I feel a little at a loose end.

Depressing, really.

Already having to slam on some Bastille in the office to cheer me up. Hopefully, this afternoon will be better. Hopefully.

God damn, my mood has got me using Anaphora. God. See!
 
Thursday:
 
Last day of the week in office before CPD25 application event in London tomorrow (three day week, what a slacker!)
 
I had absolutely no idea about this yesterday, but I was put on the rota to be on the Issue desk from opening this morning. Brisk jog down the stairs it was then...
 
Very quiet shift down there, but was amused at the changes that had been made to the circulation notifications on Heritage. To make sure that they're not missed by anyone, they are in the process of being changed to be HUGE and, highlighter yellow. Made me jump. Felt a bit silly. Carried on.
 
Then learnt how to enter books from a new supplier onto Heritage. This meant I could have a leaf through some pretentious graphic design and architecture type books, and enjoying it, without having been at all pretentious myself. HA. HA. HA.
 
Another hour on the help desk, and now I'm sitting here spending some time on reflection and a bit of project work, before I drag myself down to London for DSHS at Camden Underworld, back to Ipswich tonight, then back down to London in the morning, bright and early, on two hours sleep.
 
Wah.
 
 


2 comments:

  1. Hi! I really enjoyed reading your blog and had to comment as I am a massive Twin Peaks fan myself! I also noticed you have a interest in vegan food which makes me even more interested in having a conversation. It's so nice talking to other library trainees so I thought I would (outside of twitter of course properly introduce myself!)

    I'm a trainee at the Royal College of Surgeons in London (and am also going to the CPD25 tomorrow)If you are interested in what I'm doing during my traineeship you can read about it here; http://bit.ly/WfvqQe . The RCS is a membership library so it's really different from an academic library (it's sooo quiet), but it must be really good to be in a busier library. I'm also in charge of journal circulation, I strangely find it fun, it's the inner organiser in me trying to get out!

    How are you doing with library school applications? I've just been drafting my supporting statement, I'm applying to UCL and City, what about you?

    Sorry to learn you've had to take on another job, that must be really difficult, I've thought about it myself at times.

    If you are interested in having a chat tomorrow before/during the event let me know, you will probably see me , I'll be the one looking a little lost/trying to mingle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hey! Thank you for taking the time to read it! It's nice to know that you're not talking to yourself over the internet... Ha! TWIN PEAKS. YES! Do NOT get me started hehe, it's been nearly 25 years now since it was first aired, and I'm secretly hoping that the 25 year reference is a new Lynch project, or something.............

      Yeah, didn't think so.

      I've just had a quick scan over your blog posts (will read it more in depth on the train later on), and it's nice to know that even though we are working in libraries of different sectors, we are getting a similar experience out of our traineeships. I have to admit I was feeling a little lost, and with no one else's experience to benchmark against, I didn't know what to ask for, in terms of developing my role.

      I haven't started any applications yet, as I'm still undecided what route to take, or if I want to continue my postgrad in Literature (not as likely though, to be honest). Hoping tomorrow will shed a little more light on the matter. The world is mighty big!

      Would love a bit chat to see how you're getting on, though to be honest, you probably won't spot me easily haa. My G+ icon is two years out of date; so you're looking for a blonde early twenties version of me!

      So, Amy, See you tomorrow :)

      Delete