Tuesday 30 October 2012

Week 4: Can I play now?


Monday:


Monday morning, Monday morning, need I say more? Well, I suppose not, but I'm going to anyway. I spent most of this morning checking to see if our Planet eStream recordings were listed on the catalogue. Quite a feat considering that there are roughly 650 recordings that need checking. Needless to say, I haven't finished all of them yet.


Stepping away from my little laptop in my cubby hole, I ventured down to the issue desk, and pretended to love human interaction.

Soup, roll, and vegan flapjack. Yum.

I then had a little catch up with my line manager to make sure everything was in order. It was brief, but that's a good thing. Means everything is okay, surely?

I carried on a while with the estream recordings, then decided to dip my fingers into the world of e-resources some more, by changing the availability dates of all the freedom collection journals that we subscribe to, on Summon. Needless to say, there were more than a few missing. People got angry.



That, was my working day. (Dreading going to the gym)

Tuesday:


Woke up bright and early, and mourned the fact that my partner is off work (school half term, no teachers required) and therefore didn't have to get out of bed until midday. Arrived in good spirits, and danced my way around the shelves, whilst shelving books, and doing the book returns from the night before.

Heritage is running slow, so can't look up the eStream recordings yet, so continuing on with online journal databases.

Tomato, root veg, and lentil soup. Toasted muffin. Banana loaf & peanut butter.

Suitiably full, I have already checked the ebook records and accessions, as well as withdrawing some books. The latter made me fell a little melancholy. Poor poor books in a big black bin bag.

Resuming work on journal databases. However, I have been given a final list of benchmark institutions, so will get crack-a-lacking on that soon-ish.

Okay, I'll admit... this is a little tedious. One of the many joys of libraryland I am told.

Wednesday:

image
 
 
Fragile.
 
Had my fellas sister and friend over last night. We ate, and we drank, in large quantities. Was supposed to be a Halloween extravaganza, but we ended up playing scene it, and kinect games for most of the night. There was Darkplace too...
 
So in honour, I say that this
 

 
 
...is my philosophy for the day.
 
So, finally managed to finish off checking the eStream recordings, and sent them off to the subject librarian. Awaiting further instruction. Meanwhile, I'm still checking the coverage dates for Summon inside the databases, as well as laying down a template for my benchmark analysis project. I'll be hiding in here until lunch. Don't have to see humans until 3pm when I'm on the issue desk.
 
 
I'll keep you posted.


11.50


 
SPREADSHEETS COMPLETE!

There are still sleeping people at my flat, so left again after lunch in a hurry. Green face.

S h e l v i n g

Thursday

Hello there.

Spent all morning starting the write up for my benchmarking project, which was lovely as it meant I could hide from the rain and the cold, and still be keeping busy.

*Ran home for soup (yes, I am indeed a soup enthusiast) *

Two hours on the Help Desk, which proved useful, as I learnt a little more about pointing people in the right direction for journal articles, searching other institutions catalogues, and a little more about refWorks. Honestly, I pick up so much from sitting there for a while. Handy!

*Caffiene*

Just finishing up recieving and securing some journals, not too taxing eh.

Now, for my last 45 mins, I'm going to look a littlte bit more into further qualifications, and maybe... just maybe... write up a little bit more of the project. That is, if my little brain can take it.

No comments:

Post a Comment